Foreword:

Ever wonder what God might have to say to YOU today? Here are things to ponder, and things to receive into your heart. If you have a question, put it in the comments. I respond as much as I can.

A note for all my readers: I've been experimenting with YouTube videos for Bible teaching, and now I'm working my way through the New Testament. I encourage you to subscribe to my YouTube channel for better coverage. I'm still writing, of course, and my written posts appear here.

Friday, December 5, 2014

Still Thankful?

Really, you should be.  As I recently indicated, "thankfulness" doesn't really work when we are in the midst of a Psalm 22 moment ("Why have You forsaken me?"), but most other times, lack of gratefulness comes from a failing we all have--we just don't look at what God is doing for us right now, and we don't include the right things.  We focus on all the things that hurt, all the things that bother us, all the negative things. Why? Because they are the things that impact our thinking the most.  They are the things that "poke at us."
Sunlight is hard to focus on. Fresh air doesn't hit us like losing our job, or not being able to afford food.
The common things of life--they are the things that are always there, but which we don't appreciate when they show up, since they are so common.
Here's a couple things to think about:
1. If sleep comes, that is a HUGE gift: (Psalm 3:5) I laid down and slept; I awakened; for the LORD sustained me. Sometimes the worst curse is the inability to rest, because you are terrified about the future, and that, in turn leads to terrible depression.  Let Him give your heart rest. Things will work out, in the end.
2. You actually CAN trust God for your "stuff": Matt. 6:33: Seek first the Kingdom of God, and all these things (all the stuff you need) shall be added unto you."
3. God is worthy of your trust.  Many times when we lose the ability to give thanks, the root of that is our failure of faith.  It's understandable, but not at all useful to you. Trusting God costs you nothing, and gets you everything.  Just believe in Him, no matter what your circumstances are, and even if you know the present and immediate future are bleak, because (see #4): The final future is truly wonderful.
4. Your future is bright, believe it or not: (Ps. 16:11) You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
God has good plans for you.  Maybe later, maybe now.  They will come to pass.
He says, "I know the plans I have for you. Plans of welfare, and not of calamity, to give you a future and a hope."
May God bless you in this Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment