Foreword:

Ever wonder what God might have to say to YOU today? Here are things to ponder, and things to receive into your heart. If you have a question, put it in the comments. I respond as much as I can.

A note for all my readers: I've been experimenting with YouTube videos for Bible teaching, and now I'm working my way through the New Testament. I encourage you to subscribe to my YouTube channel for better coverage. I'm still writing, of course, and my written posts appear here.

Monday, August 10, 2015

Before We Proceed: Revelation and the "When."

In Revelation 1:1, John tells us that the events of Revelation must "shortly come to pass;" in the third verse, he says, "The season [for all these things] is near."
Many people have accused the book of Revelation (and the Bible) of a false statement. "It's been nearly 2,000 years since the Crucifixion," they say, "and nothing's happened."
These are often the same people who believe that the earth is 4 billion years old.  By any measure, if we consider the fact that man has been around for a million or more years (or even 100,000 years), the events in Revelation would be happening "soon" if they were to happen 1,000 years from now.
However, that's not really John's point, nor was it Jesus' meaning in the three Gospels when He spoke of the days that are coming.  John's point is that we need to be ready for the events he will describe later.
Just as Jesus said, "What I say to you [the Twelve Apostles], I say to all: WATCH!" which means, "be ready."
When these events occur, they will come as a surprise to many. Those who are surprised by them run the risk of disaster for themselves.
The message all of us need to take from the beginning words of the Book of Revelation is that the events catalogued in the book ARE coming.  We must watch and be ready for them, and be strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment