Foreword:

Ever wonder what God might have to say to YOU today? Here are things to ponder, and things to receive into your heart. If you have a question, put it in the comments. I respond as much as I can.

A note for all my readers: I've been experimenting with YouTube videos for Bible teaching, and now I'm working my way through the New Testament. I encourage you to subscribe to my YouTube channel for better coverage. I'm still writing, of course, and my written posts appear here.

Friday, November 8, 2013

You and God together

A lot of the Bible is spiritual lessons told in stories.  The stories are true, otherwise the lessons would be worthless, but you and I are left to make the application to ourselves.  The story below is like that:

(from 1 Kings 20): The children of Israel pitched [their tents] before [the Syrians] like two little flocks of kids; but the Syrians filled the country. Thus says the Lord, because the Syrians have said, the Lord is a God of the hills, but he is not God of the valleys; therefore I will deliver all this great army into your hands, and you shall know that I am the Lord. And they pitched [their tents] one over against the other [for] seven days; and so it was, that in the seventh day the battle was joined: and the children of Israel killed a hundred thousand Syrian infantrymen in one day.

War is terrible.  It's even worse when you have to defend your family and your home on your home turf, and you have no resources.  This is how the Israelites felt when they faced the Syrians (Later translations, "Arameans.").  God sent a prophet to the king, who made the promise above in the name of the LORD.  Because of the power of God, the Israelites could not be defeated, and their enemies were crushed.  Now apply this to yourself, and think of the overwhelming situations you face. You won't always have a prophet visit you, and you won't always have a "special word from God," (you may, though--ask for it and listen for it), but you DO have His general promises in the Scriptures:

Fear not; for I am with you! : Don't be dismayed; for I am your God: I will strengthen you; yes, I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness.
They shall fight against you; but they shall not prevail against you; for I am with you, says the Lord, to deliver you.  — You are of God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

The power of God is not just "available;" it is constantly exercised on your behalf.  The battles of life are difficult, and many times we have no resources to face them--but God is THE resource, and there is not one thing (or being) in heaven, earth, or hell that can separate you from Him and His love and power.  If He calls you to mighty victory, you cannot be defeated.  If he calls you to difficulty, you can prevail in faithfulness, and you will not lack His might.  

No comments:

Post a Comment