Foreword:

Ever wonder what God might have to say to YOU today? Here are things to ponder, and things to receive into your heart. If you have a question, put it in the comments. I respond as much as I can.

A note for all my readers: I've been experimenting with YouTube videos for Bible teaching, and now I'm working my way through the New Testament. I encourage you to subscribe to my YouTube channel for better coverage. I'm still writing, of course, and my written posts appear here.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Not as hard as you think..

Christians are fond of pointing out how difficult the Christian life is--of maximizing its problems, sufferings, struggles.  A lot of that is nonsense--everyone struggles in life. That is what life is. The reality is that God has made, is making, and will make a way for us. He loves us with an infinite intensity, an unfathomable commitment. His requirements are neither overwhelming nor unattainable, despite what you may hear from some Christian teachers, who claim to have "found the secret" to the Christian life. See the verses below.  They do not contain all that's true of the Christian life, but many of the basic principles are embedded there, and as you can see for yourself, the same God who calls you to walk with Him offers His hand to lift you up when you fall, His shoulder to lean on when you stumble, His love to sustain you when you feel forsaken, and His might to strengthen you for every difficulty.  He doesn't promise to lift the load from your shoulders--instead He offers to bear it with you--and by taking His yoke, you'll lighten your own so that you can find rest for your soul.

Micah 6:6 With what shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old?
7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? (in case you don't know what this is, it's a question that expects the answer "NO!")
8 He has shown you, O man, what is good!  and what does the LORD require of you, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God? (the elements of a walk with God involve both man and God, and they are not complex.  Just three things--justice, mercy, a humble walk with Him.)

(Jesus spoke the words below, in one of His most famous invitations)
Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (a "yoke" fits around the neck and shoulders of an ox, and is designed to put two oxen together so they can both give their strength to plowing or pulling a cart.)  

This is not the same as saying "life will be easy with Me," rather that His love and kindness will be your strength whatever you face, wherever you are, whenever you need Him, and you will never face anything alone.  Every part of life you live will be with Him, and even in death, He will be there, and carry that greatest burden with you. When you take His yoke, He takes your burden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment