Foreword:

Ever wonder what God might have to say to YOU today? Here are things to ponder, and things to receive into your heart. If you have a question, put it in the comments. I respond as much as I can.

A note for all my readers: I've been experimenting with YouTube videos for Bible teaching, and now I'm working my way through the New Testament. I encourage you to subscribe to my YouTube channel for better coverage. I'm still writing, of course, and my written posts appear here.

Monday, November 11, 2013

Wisdom and you. Part 1

There are two kinds of wisdom:
The wisdom of God, and the "wisdom of the world."  These two diverge greatly in the way they work in our lives, and their benefits are completely different.  The wisdom of God comes without any "downside;" the wisdom of the world can have terrible effects on our lives. The wisdom of the world does not provide us with Divine wisdom, and in fact can terribly misdirect us. 
James says that this particular kind of wisdom is "Earthly, sensual, demonic."
A fine example of this is the "wisdom" Hitler exercised on the German people, in subjugating them to attempt to conquer the world and set up a "divine kingdom." 
Another example of "worldly wisdom," although granted by God, is that of Solomon.  He had wisdom to rule, to judge his people, to direct the affairs of the nation of Israel.  This wisdom brought immense riches, mighty power, and incredible influence, but it was all hollow, because Solomon rejected the wisdom of God about the spiritual life, and in his old age, "his wives turned his heart away from the Lord,"  and he rejected the true God and began to worship the idols of the nations around him.  The result of this was sorrow and loss:
12 I, the Preacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem.
13 And I set my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all that is done under heaven; this burdensome task God has given to the sons of man, by which they may be exercised.
14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and indeed, all is vanity and grasping for the wind.
15 What is crooked cannot be made straight, And what is lacking cannot be numbered.
16 I communed with my heart, saying, "Look, I have attained greatness, and have gained more wisdom than all who were before me in Jerusalem. My heart has understood great wisdom and knowledge."
17 And I set my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is grasping for the wind.
18 For in much wisdom is much grief, And he who increases knowledge increases sorrow
The last statement above is only true if one presupposes that wisdom has no eternal benefits--and as a matter of fact, there is a kind of wisdom that not only lacks those benefits, but specifically rejects them, and thus suffers the loss of God's wisdom, which is freely given to those who want it:
But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world for our glory: None of the princes of this world knew [this wisdom], for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But as it is written, Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither has it entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for those who love him. But God has revealed them to us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 
Do you want the wisdom of God?? It's a step by step process, laid out in the Bible for you to see and follow:
1. Open your heart.  That is the main thing.  God grants (gives freely) His wisdom to anyone who desires it, and will do His will once he finds what the wisdom of God is.
2. Take Jesus' yoke.  The yoke is the symbol of being bound to Jesus Christ.  He says, "take my yoke, and learn of me..."
3.  LISTEN always.  Jesus said, "He who has an ear to hear, let him hear."  You may have the ear, but not hear, because God is speaking to you and you do not want to listen, or you don't want to listen about that particular thing. The Father and Son will lead you aright. Every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment