Foreword:

Ever wonder what God might have to say to YOU today? Here are things to ponder, and things to receive into your heart. If you have a question, put it in the comments. I respond as much as I can.

A note for all my readers: I've been experimenting with YouTube videos for Bible teaching, and now I'm working my way through the New Testament. I encourage you to subscribe to my YouTube channel for better coverage. I'm still writing, of course, and my written posts appear here.

Saturday, November 29, 2014

When God says, "Yeah, Right!"

Psalm 2:1: Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
2 The kings of the earth set themselves [against God], and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his Anointed, saying,
3 Let us break their chains, and cast away their ropes from us.
4 He who sits in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision ["you gotta be kidding!"]
5 Then shall he speak to them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.
6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

It's amazing that people who don't believe in the God of the Bible think that their unbelief makes Him nonexistent, and that they will never give account to Him.
Psalm 2 gives the lie to this, and points out that God is there, He can't be avoided or evaded, and He requires not only that I acknowledge Him, but that I follow and honor Him.
All the peoples of the world, Psalm 2 tells us, gather together against the LORD, and against His anointed, and say:
"Let's get rid of God! Let's get rid of His Son!" Like that's going to work. You can fight Him, but you won't win.
God's response:  "I have STILL set my King on my holy mount Zion (location, Jerusalem).  In other words, all the efforts to dislodge God as the Creator of the Universe and the Son as His King will fail. It can't happen.
God has promised the Son that He will rule over the kingdoms of the earth:
"Ask of me [says God], and I will give you the nations for your inheritance, and the furthest regions of the earth for your possession."
All the rulers of the earth get divine counsel:
"Be wise, therefore, you kings, be instructed, you judges (powerful people) of the earth: serve the LORD, and rejoice--tremble at His presence."
And finally, "Kiss the Son [do homage, like kissing a ruler's ring], lest he become angry, and you perish from the way, when His wrath is kindled but a little."
There is no question but that God expects our obedience and worship.  I realize that in the greater world of devotional writings, this is not a subject that often comes up, but it is true nonetheless--God calls the mighty of the earth to obey, and says they will not escape if they reject Him--that His King is already seated, and ready to take over, so how much more do us common folk have to listen, to follow, to serve Him?
The conclusion:
"Blessed are all they who put their trust in Him."  That is a wonderful word for all who already follow Him, since when you voluntarily follow Him, the blessings are multiplied, while if you are forced to submit, your survival is questionable.
I hope you follow Him.  He not only asks, He demands it.  And you face the Creator-God when you refuse.
That cannot end well.

No comments:

Post a Comment