Foreword:

Ever wonder what God might have to say to YOU today? Here are things to ponder, and things to receive into your heart. If you have a question, put it in the comments. I respond as much as I can.

A note for all my readers: I've been experimenting with YouTube videos for Bible teaching, and now I'm working my way through the New Testament. I encourage you to subscribe to my YouTube channel for better coverage. I'm still writing, of course, and my written posts appear here.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Faith is...

It occurred to me when I was thinking about what I wrote last night concerning communion, that I needed to provide some sort of explanation of faith, because faith is what connects us to God. It's difficult, because faith is so individual, but here's an attempt:
1. Faith starts with God. If you look at Genesis 12:1 and following, what you see is God speaking to Abram. ("Now the LORD said to Abram...") We don't know how God spoke to him, but we do know the result.  Abram became Abraham, the father of the Jewish nation, and he also became the father of those who believe.
2. Faith moves to a point of decision (So Abram departed as the LORD had spoken to him...). Abram picked up his family, and left, because God had told him to do so.
So we have these two things.  God speaks to me, and I act on that.  So faith begins with God, and then I say "YES."
The same thing is true when I believe in God, in His Son, in His life, death, and resurrection.  I believe because in my being there is a "knowing" that this is true--and here's where it gets sketchy, because I can't tell you how that "knowing" occurs.  I do understand that it occurs at a deeper level than the merely conscious mind, or even of the unconscious mind.  It's a knowing that descends into your inner mind and spirit, so that all of you knows.
Hebrews 11:1 calls it the "assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." In other words, our entire being is aware that what we are hearing is true, and says YES! to the message, and to God.
Faith is not just the knowing part.  That is God, talking to us.  Faith is both the knowing, AND the YES! that we say to God when we hear Him.
This relates to communion in the sense that God makes us aware of what Jesus did for us when He died and rose, and we say YES! I want that! when we receive communion. Jesus said, "Do this in remembrance of Me..." and so each time we receive communion, we reaffirm our "YES!" and say to Him, "I still want You, Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment