Foreword:

Ever wonder what God might have to say to YOU today? Here are things to ponder, and things to receive into your heart. If you have a question, put it in the comments. I respond as much as I can.

A note for all my readers: I've been experimenting with YouTube videos for Bible teaching, and now I'm working my way through the New Testament. I encourage you to subscribe to my YouTube channel for better coverage. I'm still writing, of course, and my written posts appear here.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What happened to me, part 1

Matthew 8: Jesus Cleanses a Leper
1 When he came down from the mountain, great crowds followed him.
2 And behold, a leper came to him and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, if you will, you can make me clean."
3 And Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, "I will; be clean." And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.

I wanted to tell you what happened to me.  You look at me today, and I'm old, but my skin is beautiful, and I'm healthy.  One day, long ago, I heard Jesus preaching.  He was telling people how to live, and He spoke with great power.  I had watched Him heal other people, but, you see, I was a leper.  I was full of leprosy, disfigured, terribly ill, and weak.  I was afraid to come to Him.  I didn't know if His power applied to me.  I know, you think, "how silly!" But you weren't me.  I could never enter society. I was always on the fringes.  I could do nothing with anyone, except other lepers, and I was so ugly, so deformed, so sick that even they would have nothing to do with me.  I could hardly walk, because my feet had literally been eaten away by my disease, and I lived on the outskirts of life, wearing rags and eating scraps that people left for me. I had no pity from anyone. They all thought it was because of something I had done.  
When Jesus came down from the mountain (I had sat where I could barely hear him, and away from the people that always showed up to keep me away from public events), I couldn't help myself.  He just looked so...attracting.  His eyes pulled me to Him, and I could tell He saw me.  So I went up to Him and knelt.  And I said, "You could make me clean, if you wanted." I don't know what came over me.  I knew He could do it when I saw Him.  I had watched Him do so many healings, but I always thought, "That's not for lepers."  I was very afraid.  I thought He might look at me, and say, like everyone else, "Get out of here!" I couldn't have stood that.  
You know what He did?  He took me by the hand, and put His hands on my shoulders, and said, "BE CLEAN!"  Suddenly, I was well.  I can't describe it.  It was like years of sickness and pain were all gone, and I was OK again.  I looked down at my crippled feet, but they were completely whole now.  I could feel things in my hands and fingers.  My face was right again.  Then he said a mysterious thing: "Don't tell anyone!" But how could I keep it a secret?  Everyone who saw me, no longer in rags, would wonder.  So I told them.  I know it brought Him many like me, and a lot of trouble, and I am sorry for that, but I am so happy for what He did for me that I followed Him.  I still do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment