Foreword:

Ever wonder what God might have to say to YOU today? Here are things to ponder, and things to receive into your heart. If you have a question, put it in the comments. I respond as much as I can.

A note for all my readers: I've been experimenting with YouTube videos for Bible teaching, and now I'm working my way through the New Testament. I encourage you to subscribe to my YouTube channel for better coverage. I'm still writing, of course, and my written posts appear here.

Friday, November 1, 2013

Try a little Laughter!

Some of the best events in life are truly funny--humorous, and unusual:
From Genesis  17, 18, 21:

17:19 Then God said: "...Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his descendants after him.
18:1 Then the LORD appeared to [Abraham] by the oaks of Mamre, as he was sitting in the tent door in the heat of the day.
2 So he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, three men were standing by him; and when he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them, and bowed himself to the ground...
9 Then they said to him, "Where is Sarah your wife?" So he said, "Here, in the tent."
10 And He said, "I will certainly return to you according to the time of life, and behold, Sarah your wife shall have a son." (Sarah was listening in the tent door which was behind him.)
11 Now Abraham and Sarah were old, well advanced in age; and Sarah had passed the age of childbearing.
12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, "After I have grown old, shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?"
13 And the LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh, saying, 'Shall I surely bear a child, since I am old?'
14 Is anything too hard for the LORD? At the appointed time I will return to you, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son."
15 But Sarah denied it, saying, "I did not laugh," for she was afraid. And He said, "No, but you did laugh!"
 21: 3 And Abraham called the name of his son who was born to him --- whom Sarah bore to him --- Isaac.

This entire account is full of humor and pathos. When you read the full story in Genesis 17-21, you'll find that God named Abraham's heir before Sarah ever heard of him, and He named him "Isaac," which means "Laughter," and there was a great deal of laughter in Abraham's home. Sarah laughed--she no doubt looked down at her body when the LORD was announcing Isaac's birth-to-come, and she cracked up.  "Imagine me (wrinkly me!) with a baby!  We don't even make love any more!! We are too old for this!"  And she kept on chuckling--until the LORD pointed out that He could do anything He wanted.  I may be using too much imagination here, but I think the LORD was amused, and He got a chuckle out of this as well.  He knew what He was about to do, and even though this was a holy moment in history, it was a fun moment.  In just a few days, changes took place in Sarah--wrinkles going away (God's botox?); reproductive organs regenerating.  Desire returning.  In other words, Sarah was rejuvenated, along with Abraham. It's like she got a huge shot of estrogen and progesterone (etc.) in just the right balance, and...suddenly her cycle began again, and she and Abraham became "interested" in each other all over again.  Romance blossomed. Love was in the air.  Youth had returned, and suddenly all the feelings they had missed for years were there.  All this time the LORD was looking down from heaven, grinning, and saying, "See?!! I CAN do anything!" 
It's true today, too.  "NOTHING is too hard for the LORD."  Don't forget that.  Even when it seems like all your dreams have disappeared, hope again, laugh again, and trust Him.  He will do everything He said.

No comments:

Post a Comment