Foreword:

Ever wonder what God might have to say to YOU today? Here are things to ponder, and things to receive into your heart. If you have a question, put it in the comments. I respond as much as I can.

A note for all my readers: I've been experimenting with YouTube videos for Bible teaching, and now I'm working my way through the New Testament. I encourage you to subscribe to my YouTube channel for better coverage. I'm still writing, of course, and my written posts appear here.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Peace of heart.

Isaiah 26:3: You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you: because he trusts in you.

Peace of heart is an elusive thing. We talk about it in religious terms, and for the most part we believe that it's attainable--but quite often, we feel the stresses of life, the sorrows of life, the pressures that modern living brings. This verse, however, reveals that there is a discipline to living that does truly help, and that is to focus on God.  There are many times in the Psalms where David is terribly distressed, and he brings his troubles to the LORD.  After that, he finds rest in his soul, and his spirit is calmed.
For example:
David cries out in trouble (Psalm 3)
1 LORD, how they have increased who trouble me! Many are they who rise up against me. 
2 Many are they who say of me, " There is no help for him in God."
and then
4 I cried to the LORD with my voice, And He heard me from His holy hill.
5 I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.
The first verse describes how things are, and they are not very good. Even his acquaintances said, "He's finished." but David was not finished. The LORD strengthened him, and helped him.
There are numerous examples of this throughout the Psalms, and the process goes something like this:
TROUBLE...sometimes years of it.
PRAYER FOR HELP...and often real agony in life and prayer.
PEACE...
DELIVERANCE (but not always.  Sometimes the situations stay the same, and God's peace is His answer.
Phil. 4:6-7: do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Psalm 73 is about a man of God who came to a crisis of faith because wicked wealthy men seemed never to experience the judgments of God in this life. They were always "fat and happy."  When he was done crying out to God, nothing had changed in the outside world, but his relationship to God had, because he saw that God was with him, and would be with him forever, and would guide him into heaven.  
It is sometimes like this. Things don't change, but we do, because He fills us with His peace and power, and sustains us in our way, even though times are very difficult for us. 
He offers you His peace.  Take it. Let your mind stop at God, and you will find His peace and sustaining strength, even when the times are hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment